From June 28 to July 2, 2010 APSU will be hosting the first annual Summer Guitar Workshop. The workshop will offer a variety of classes for both fingerstyle and classical guitarists and will feature a several competitions. Join the Facebook Group to get updates about the festival.
- Stanley Yates, Director
- Stephen Aron, Classical Guitar Workshop Co-director / Collegiate Competition Chair
- Mir Ali, Classical Guitar Workshop Co-Director / Pre-Collegiate Competition Chair
- Richard Smith, Fingerstyle Workshop Co-Director / Fingerstyle Competition Chair
- Roger Hudson, Fingerstyle Workshop Co-Director
Each night features a different concert: from classical guitarists to fingerstyle. I’ve seen both Mir Ali and Stephen Aron in concert and both are great. Mir has a very unique style and has what can only be called a huge stage presence.
Every day there will be masterclass and lecture sessions that are open to all festival participants. In addition, each morning will feature technique workshop sessions, guitar ensemble rehearsals, and reading classes.
There are three different competitions happening:
- Collegiate/Post-Collegiate Classical Guitar ($2,000 first prize)
- Pre-Collegiate Classical Guitar ($500 first prize plus full tuition scholarship for next year’s workshop)
- Pre-Collegiate Fingerstyle ($500 first prize plus full tuition scholarship for next year’s workshop)
How I Fit In
Full disclosure: I’m a student at APSU. By the time this festival rolls around, I’ll have graduated; however, I still hold a vested interest in the festival’s success. I’ll be running reading courses for pre-collegiate students and acting as support staff throughout the festival (and maybe competing).
I’ll also be available on a limited basis for private lessons (you’ll have to make arrangements with me directly if you’d like to take lessons). And, of course, I’ll be available to hang out and chat with anyone who happens to stop by!
Hope to see you this summer!